So, Kindegarten application season is offically here...if you think I'm joking, you obviously don't live in S. California, cuz I'm not. If you're like me, you're either visiting all of the local Catholic schools, touring the uber-riche private schools, or trying to figure out how to "opt-in" to the public school of your choice. All in all, it's very time consuming and very stressful.I'm going the Catholic school route, so for me it was relatively easy...you join the church of your choice, make sure to send in your tithing envelope every week, do a little volunteering, make yourself known in the church community, go to all the Open House activities (there are a few), fill out your application, pay your fee, wait for your interview, and then sit and wait to see if you're accepted...gosh, just writing that made me tired.
When I said that the above was easy, I wasn't joking. Friends of mine trying to circumnavigate the public school system are practically doing backflips to try to get into the "best" public school. And let's not even talk about the private schools - I guess if paying $10K to $25K for Kindegarten is in your budget, then you're on easy street...all you have to do is decide if you want to co-room parent with Britney Spears or Denise Richards.
Unfortunately, I think I took Luci's application more seriously than my own college applications...when I went to drop off the form to our top choice school, I was so nervous I had the school secretary review the app to make sure that I wasn't forgetting anything.
Now all we have left is the school interview on Tuesday. It's not Luci I'm worried about; let's hope that mommy can hold it together.
Private schools in my small country town are no better. We paid a cool 8k for kindergarten (trust me not easy)and continue with 10k per child for elementary. Will I want to scream when all 5 hit elementary school and I am shelling out 50k a year for finger painting, yes. But out here that is the only option to the well below sub stranded public school where all the kids are medicated and/or pregnant. But 50 k for all 5 will be easier to accept than the 60k per year per student for high school. If you go to the city the prices only go up. That is why so many people out here homeschool. And you are right it is a complex competitive process that is exhausting.
ReplyDeleteI guess I should be happy we live in NJ - we have some of the best public schools in the country ... we won't have to worry about that unless we move south like we plan on doing... wow. Good luck and I hope she gets in ... and Mama can relax. :)
ReplyDeleteWow, just reading this and that first comment up there made ME feel tired, and I don't even have children or have to worry about any of this right now. I had NO idea that some areas of the country were so crazy in regards to something that seems so simple! I hope everything goes well for you guys with the interview!!!!
ReplyDeleteThis outfit is amazing, who wouldn't want her at their school!
ReplyDelete