Sunday, June 24, 2012

Vacation, Party of 6

Last weekend we took our first vacation as a family of 6.  I say vacation, but it really was an obligation; it was to celebrate my little brother's graduation from college! Yay!!!  While it was a short road trip up north, it took quite a bit of planning and a lot of nervous energy.


I thought it would be fitting to partake in a classic american road trip tradition.  To commemorate our first adventure on the road, we all got tattoos.  While they were chosen by chance from the grocery store dispenser, I like to think that the girls birds signify "the freedom of life on the road" and trips black widow as "weaving new adventures" (as opposed to meeting and disposing of wealthy spouses).

We packed our bags, shoved them into the van and hit the road.

The car DVD kept them busy for most of the trip...we stopped more than a few times...had a couple tantrums about seatbelts...and found ourselves dangerously close to a big rig road rage fight.  But most of the time we saw this:
Occassionally, we smelled this:
Treats were provided and naps were taken. The trip really wasn't that bad.


We arrived at our hotel, checked in, and that's when it got a bit complicated.  What to do when you don't have your toys.  Soon found out that the desk swivel chair is a fantastic merry go round.  It kept Lu and Tripp busy for awhile.
Next, we headed over to my older brothers to swim and hang out.  We LOVE our cousins!!!
The night before graduation, Craig (lil bro) and three of his friends arranged a dinner party for all their families.  It was held at a brewery attached to a duck pond.  The duck pond was key cuz it kept all 11 of his nieces and newphews busy while the adults drank.
Not the best picture, but I had to congratulate my dad.  No more school tuition! My dad has had a kid in school and been paying tuition for the past 30+ years.  This guy put 4 kids through catholic grade school, high school, and college...
Poor Mark spent the night outside looking in cuz Wes couldn't take the loud noise from the party.  

Graduation Day!  It was 104 degrees! All the cousins, minus the oldest and the youngest.

Mark said my brother Jeff was like Santa Claus...all the kids loved him and kept wanting to climb all over him.
The heat was excruciating. You could feel the meltdowns creeping up.

Babies started crying, mommy was sweating, grandma got sick, it was time to go.  We packed back in the van and started the long trip back home.
Did I learn anything from the trip?  Not really...everything was to be expected and I was actually pleasantly surprised at how well everyone did and had a blast with my family.  Will we take a long roadtrip again anytime soon?  Probably not. I'm looking forward to a trip to Vegas with Mark...only Mark.

4 comments:

  1. Wow you are brave but you did it! Family time is so important and it really looks like you guys all enjoyed it. Kudos to your dad for caring enough to put all his kids through schools that obviously required sacrifice on his part- that is admirable. I only hope I can do that for mine :) Nice pictures and good times! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing your life unfold. Congrats to baby brother Craig.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a big beautiful family you have. I love these photos, very journalistic and Kari-pretty as always:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice photos :)

    visit me http://erick-10.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete