She's tiny, but she's vicious...she's a biter!This morning I turned away for a second to do some household chores, leaving the twins in the playroom doing puzzles. When I left, they were playing nicely...I returned to find Tripp on the ground crying out in pain. I ask him what's wrong, he responds, "Penny bite" as he points to his tummy. I lift up his shirt to find three distinct bite marks on his back. Anger builds as I look over at Penny playing cheerfully in the corner of the room. Obviously she got what she wanted.
I read in the books that I'm supposed to gently, but sternly explain that biting is bad and that it hurts...but she looks at me and cheerfully repeats, "biting bad" and goes on her merry way.
Nobody wants to be the mom of "that kid" and have to be watching her like a hawk at playdates, making sure she doesn't take a big chunk out of her playmate...


How do you explain to a not-quite-two year old that her brother and sister are not delicious? Is it possible, or will this get worse?
Oh my gosh, so cute, she's so like mine, only she looks like you!
ReplyDeleteI've not dealt much in bites. Mine just pinch behind my back.
Oh, but she's a cutie! My friend had this problem but his little girl was in day care and biting every day. He read that he should bite her back... and he eventually did. It worked, but I don't know if I could ever actually do that! I hope that your issue resolves itself less violently :)
ReplyDeleteCute, but deadly. This too shall pass:)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteUgh Im a behaviourist by trade, and of course my daughter decided to be a biter and a hitter.. ugh. Best thing to do is react appropriately to the situation.. if she bite to get the toy ensure that she doesnt have access to it (if she does have access to it it just reinforces the biting), if she bites to try to escape a situation ie cleaning up) ensure to follow through on cleaning up.
ReplyDeleteHope that helps a bite.. my girl is 2 now and is bite free.. this too shall pass, it just sucks when your in it UGH!
Thanks for the advice...I'm really stuck. I wish that she would just stop, but it seems like it's gonna be a battle till the end.
DeleteLook how sweet & innocent she looks too! Ha! Ugh, I think every parent goes through this at one time? I know our time is coming soon enough. Not looking forward to it. I Hope Penny passes through this phase fast... before you knwo it, you'll be on to some other fun thing like what my daughter is doing - escaping from her pack & play at daycare! LOL!
ReplyDelete