Monday, May 9, 2011

My Dirty Mothers Day

Yesterday I had the perfect Mothers Day. I hope you did too.

I had told my husband that my perfect day would be to sleep in and just work outside in the garden. No TV, no computers, no cameras...just digging in the dirt and getting our hands dirty. So that's what we did and it was PERFECT!


On Saturday, I went to our local garden center and bought a tub of ladybugs to release in the garden. As I expected, Luci thought this was magical. We waited till sundown and watched as 1,000 ladybugs made their way across the garden looking for pests...then Luci ran around trying to collect the "lost" ladybugs and help them along.

Every year at the begining of March, we plant our vegetable garden. It's getting to be a family tradition and Luci is a big part of planting and eating. She loves to check the garden with me to see how things are growing. But she has a problem of picking things before their ready cuz she thinks the baby beans and baby tomatos are too cute to keep outside in the cold.

This year we have 8 varieties of tomatos, green beans, snap peas, 4 varieties of peppers, egg plants, cucumbers, zuccini, grapes, blackberries, corn, brussel sprouts, cherries, grapes and a ton of herbs.

And our flowers look amazing. I planted a ton of dalia bulbs and huge dalia bushes are sprouting up everywhere. I can't wait to show you what they look like in a couple weeks when they are in full bloom...

Until then, we'll let the ladybugs do their job and keep our organic garden pest-free...

5 comments:

  1. I love gardening, too. The only thing I want to do in the summer is go outside, plant and pick weeds. We're struggling a little to get the garden in == because I'm way too busy most of the time...and I find it pretty hard with the baby...I guess you've got two of them, so it should be even more of a challenge for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous! I am dying to have a vegetable garden, but I never seem to get it together in time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your garden, I'm glad you finally blogged about it. The ladybugs are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the ladybug photo with Luci, it is precious! I'll have to look into some local centers here that may have some for my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds perfect! I wish I had green fingers, and a bigger garden! :P I can just about manage herbs, and Colin does everythign really! :P

    Lots of Love
    Momma B & Babyboy
    xxx

    ReplyDelete