Thursday, January 20, 2011

Let's Get Physical...

I noticed that a lot of us put fitness or working out as one of our resolutions for 2011. How many of you have actually started on that goal?

Personally, I've been slacking...but fortunately for us, I've got the most incredible SIL in the world who also happens to be a personal trainer. She's also a mom of 3 so she knows what it's like to get body back after baby. I asked her for some pointers and thought I'd share them with you...

Suzy's the super cute one in the middle. Did I mention she LOVES to run!?! Makes absolutely no sense to me...

Getting Body Back After Baby

Whether it's when baby is naping in their crib or baby is awake and in the stroller, it's good for Mommy's body and mind to get a little exercise. Healthy eating (not dieting) and exercise are key to losing those baby pounds, but you have to be patient, it’s not going to happen overnight.

In the years of training clients and running my fitChicks mommy bootcamps, I've found that the best results are achieved when you keep your workouts consistent and well rounded. Consistent doesn't have to be everyday, but the more frequent you workout, the quicker you will see results. I recommend at least three times a week. A well rounded workout consists of cardio, strength training and stretching. Cardio get's your heart rate up, strength training builds muscle that allows your body to burn fat while resting, and stretching keeps you limber and most importantly, prevents injury.

6 weeks postpartum, after you’ve gotten the green flag from your doc, you’re ready to get started! One of the first goals I set for my clients is to try walking at least 150 minutes a week. You can progress from there. And even if you can only fit in a couple 30-45 minute walks, your moving. And the more you move, the more calories you are burning.

Here is a typical exercise program I prescribe for my new mommy clients:
Monday: Walk for 5 minutes, nice and easy warm up; 2 minutes of lunges; 10 minutes of walking at a quicker pace, so it’s hard to talk; 2 minute squats; 10 minutes hard to talk pace; 2 minutes push ups(find a bench or bring a blanket to put down on ground); 5 minutes cool down.

Tuesday: 35 minute walk while pushing stroller.

Wednesday: Walk for 10 minutes, nice and easy warm up; 2 minutes tight butt squeezes; 10 minutes hard to talk pace(look for the hills, those are the best and more efficient calorie torcher); 2 minutes boxing; 10 minutes hard to talk pace; 2 minutes lunges; 5 minutes cool down.

Thursday: 40 minute walk while pushing stroller.

Friday: Walk for 10 minutes, nice and easy warm up; 2 minutes squats; 1 minute lunges; 10 minutes hard to talk pace; 2 minutes push ups; 10 minutes hard to talk pace; 1 minute jumping jacks; 5 minute cool down.

And if you can't get out of the house, try these easy exercises:
- Lay baby down on her back and do push ups; kissing her each time you go down.
- Hold baby and do squats.
- Hold baby under arms and have her feet touch the ground while bending your knees and then straighten your knees and hold her over your head.

I'm gonna start today...Anyone want to join me?

We'd love a vote!
Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a new follower and have been dieting for a couple months...or trying too. This post is very helpful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips! I have been slacking the past couple of weeks. Time to get my butt back in gear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now to get off my butt and do it!!! Thanks for posting Kari!

    ReplyDelete