Sorry guys, I warned you, I've got photo fever...I LOVE the photo above. Does anyone know how I can achieve this effect? My friend has the most beautiful photo of her daughter running through a field of flowers with this same sun halo and it is so powerful!
Is it editing or straight exposure? I'd love to know...
BTW, after I posted about my photography class, I got a comment from my instructor! I couldn't believe it!!! I mean, it's an online course and I haven't even met her yet, and she already found my blog...YIKES! Just in case...Nicole Hill Gerulat is an incredible photographer and her online classes are very informative (and hard). And hopefully worth the work.
We'd love a vote!

You absolutely can! It's happens when you use backlighting(sun in front of you, light source behind your subject) and cut off the sun/light source with the edge of your frame creating sunflare. Works best before sunset when the sun is low.
ReplyDeleteThe flare and haze can be added/enhanced in photoshop, but most of the time it's achieved in camera.
I hope I helped and didn't give you wrong info(I've only been at this about a year) :)
good luck!
Thanks for posting this, and thanks for the answer, nicki! :)
ReplyDeleteYou can also use Lightroom to add cool actions that will enhance the photo.
ReplyDeleteWow great picture and great info -
ReplyDeleteLuci - I left something for you on my blog by the way - http://www.juliannabelle.com/2011/01/my-award.html
You can capture the sunflare in camera and then add that kind of vintage tint during editing. Not that I can actually produce that kind of image but I've seen it done that way. :)
ReplyDeleteI love Sussy's blog. How fun you are taking that class! I am posting my pay it forward tomorrow. :) I will email you in a bit.
ReplyDeleteThat's shooting in Manual, my dear! Lens Flare is beautiful when done properly.
ReplyDeletePosition yourself directly in line with the sun. You will see it come through lens.
Best time to capture a shot similar to that is to shoot right at sundown. Remember... the higher your shutter speed, the more crisp your photo (but too high can totally mess your deal up!). I would shoot this shot with a somewhat low aperture too.
In that particular photo, it looks like there was some editing to it. Minor blurring around the upper edges, a boosted lens flare (in photoshop, you can find it under filter>render>lens flare), and possibly some curve adjustment. Take a shot at it!! I would LOVE to see your outcome.